08 June 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. XII)



--- 1 ---

Low 50s F and rain this past week.  High 80s F, sun, and humidity forecast for next week.  Only in New England does one find such fickle weather patterns, regardless of the time of year or season.

Yes, one of the brightest gems in the New England weather is the dazzling uncertainty of it. There is only one thing certain about it: you are certain there is going to be plenty of it -- a perfect grand review; but you never can tell which end of the procession is going to move first.

-- Mark Twain, "New England Weather


--- 2 ---

Reading "De Gustibus," a post by Br. Leo Checkai, O. P., on the Dominicana blog last week, he refers to a recent Wall Street Journal article by Barbara Stuckey, "For Healthy Eating, Bitter Is Better."  This quote towards the beginning of the article struck me:
The tongue is a unique muscle. The best way to exercise it, if you want to make the most difference to your waistline, is not to flex or fatigue it, but to stretch it. Expanding our repertoire of foods isn't just about exploration and new pleasures. It's also the first step toward eating a broader, healthier diet.
I find this fascinating.  I think of my own childhood, and my predilection for sweets and sweet-tasting foods.  As I get older and try to stretch my palate, I find that this predilection wanes.  Salty, spicy, and bitter foods have an increasing appeal to me, and processed foods hold less (though still too much) of an attraction. 

What do others think?

I'm also intrigued by the fact that "taste" can refer to more than mere gustatory sensations.  There are musical and aesthetic tastes, for example.  Perhaps it's time to pull out Hume again and read his discussions of taste.  Many of the discussions of food, wine, and beer & philosophy refer to Hume in examining whether there can be any such thing as objectivity in taste, or if it is purely subjective, as Hume claims.

My own admittedly preliminary and not well-thought out and articulated view is that Hume's contention is conditioned by his modern framework.  If all he has is his variant of the Cartesian cogito locked within its solipsistic prison, then it's hard to see how taste could be anything other than purely subjective.  Though, as I said: this is just a hunch.  I will have to re-read this part of Hume and study it a bit more.  It's definitely a possible topic for a future post, I think.

--- 3 ---

I think I'm going to be making a lot of Indian food over the next few weeks.  Flipping through my curry cookbook last week, I found a number of recipes that I never got around to trying last year.  I'm planning to make two, and perhaps three curries this weekend at the moment.   Plus, it's always fun to shop at the local Indian market.  The aroma of spices and other ingredients there is both intoxicating and revelatory, I find.

--- 4 ---

Hilarious.  How the Latin lyrics to Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" might be misheard --


A hat-tip to Fr. Z. for this.

--- 5 ---

Yesterday, I had my first Photoshop training session.  Always cool to pick up some knowledge of another piece of software.  Definitely looking forward to having some fun with my new-found artistic skills.

--- 6 ---

From the Belle of Amherst -- 
To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,—
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.
The revery alone will do
If bees are few.
-- Emily Dickinson
--- 7 ---

Reverie and wonder, like those of a child's, seeing the world afresh and new -- to not tire of being surprised by the world and everything and everyone in it at every moment....

Have a great weekend, everyone!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and will be posted after being approved by the moderator. You do not, at present, need to sign in or register to post a comment.

PrintFriendly Button